Oral Surgery/Infection after Wisom tooth removal

Approx 4 weeks ago I had 3 wisdom teeth removed. One on the bottom side developed a dry socket and then an infection. After medicated gauze and a round of antibiotics most of the pain is gone. However the jawbone is still sensitive to touch and also when I open my mouth very wide. I can eat with no problem. the socket is closing up but is still open. Is there still infection there or is this just the normal healing process?

Obviously, it is virtually impossible to answer your question without seeing you.  However, I would assume given your description of things getting better, though slowly, that you do not likely have a residual infection.  You would be best off to go see the oral surgeon who took care of you in the first place for confirmation and any necessary treatment.

Good luck,

Dr. Jeff Bressman

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with over 24 years of experience. The majority of my practice involves dental implants, removal of wisdom teeth, treatment of areas of oral pathology. Please note that this site is designed for general information and I can not give you medical advice specific for you.

I have over 24 years of private practice experience

American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Fellow American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Diplomate National Dental Board of Anesthesia, Fellow American Dental Society for Anesthesia

BS, University of Illinois with honors DDS, University of Illinois, with high honors Board Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery