Oral Surgery/Jaw fracture plate pain

Question
Hi, I had a plate and screws put in my jaw and they are close to the nerves under my teeth. I always have a little pain and it feels uncomfortable every day. I constantly feel it on my jaw especially when im stressed wven more so than normal. The surgery was in 2008. Should I have the plate and screws removed to take away the pain?

Answer
Dan, A good clinical exam will be better able to tell if the plate removal will make the pain go away. First of all, the teeth need to be tested to determine their vitality. Removing the plate may or may not take away the pain. If the pain is related to the plate, most likely the removal will take the pain away. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon