Oral Surgery/oligodontia

Question
Hi. The research needed is a dental condition called oligodontia, which is a mouth and jaw condition that prevents the growing of permanent teeth (more than 6 teeth fail to form) and hypodontia (which is the congenital missing of up to 6 teeth). The research I am looking for is to confirm how frequent this is..and any other stats that may be available. I searched university databases and not much luck on stats. I recall reading that hypodontia in some form or another affects up to 20% of the population. Is this true?? Any and all stats are useful.   I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

Answer
Karen - I did a little research, like I'm sure you have done and found variable percentages in different studies.  I have seen the process quite a few times, but in my practice it was only less than 5 percent.

I wish I could give you an exact figure or even an approximate one, but I cannot not.  I found in a study from Louisiana that they state about 7%.  I wish I could be more exacting.  Sorry.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired