Oral Surgery/Painful dentures...follow-up question

QUESTION: Dear Dr.  I have had my dentures for approximately 3 years.  The entire time I have been in excruciating pain and cannot wear them for more than 30 minutes(let alone eat with them). When I first got them I thought maybe bone spurs were to blame. However, after years, I have found no solution, I now have wrinkles from lack of a "structured" mouth, and I still cannot tolerate the pain. My gums are not smooth, but very you have any advice as to what I could do, or which Dr. to address this with?  
Thank You for your time,

ANSWER: Sabrina, Thank you for your question. It is very difficult for me to give you specific advice since I can not see you. The bumpy gums can be smoothed down. If there are specific spots that hurt then smoothing them down will help. If there is generalized pain, then probably dentures are not the answer for you. You should consider having some implants placed to support the dentures sop that they are not on your gums when you eat or have them in. Implants are more reasonable these days and you would only need a few to support the denture. This would also take care of the wrinkles you describe. I hope that helps

QUESTION: Dear Dr.  Thank you for your answer,but I have a few more questions 1)what is "denture sop"? 2) what kind of Dr. would do the smoothing? 3) I also have a history which is quite complicated. In 2002, after 10 years of the most excruciating pain I have ever known, i had a "micro-vascular decompression of the 5th cranial nerve" also known as the Janetta procedure, by Dr. Janetta. The surgery was more complicated than they expected and although it took away most of the pain, I still get the Atypical Trigeminal Neuralogic pain for about 2 months of the year.(When I need heavy narcotics to deal with it).  Knowing all this most Dr.'s do not want to come near me.  Is this a hopeless situation?  Am I a candidate for any kind of implant? And at what cost(both financial and physical?  Relatively Hopeless, Sabrina

Sabrina, I do not k ow what "denture sop" is. The Dr. that should smooth the bone would be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. There are no other dental specialists that have the extensive training required to manage your medical issues. Additionally, a board certified oral and maxillofacial will be able to put you to sleep in their office. This will decrease the cost associated with going to the operating room. I see no reason why you would not be a candidate for dental implants. The financial costs vary. Some are cheer than others, but I would be wary of the type of implant they use. Make sure they are good quality implants that have a long record of success. There are many new implants that do not fit this criteria.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.