Oral Surgery/Painful dentures...follow-up question

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr.  I have had my dentures for approximately 3 years.  The entire time I have been in excruciating pain and cannot wear them for more than 30 minutes(let alone eat with them). When I first got them I thought maybe bone spurs were to blame. However, after years, I have found no solution, I now have wrinkles from lack of a "structured" mouth, and I still cannot tolerate the pain. My gums are not smooth, but very bumpy...do you have any advice as to what I could do, or which Dr. to address this with?  
Thank You for your time,
         Sabrina

ANSWER: Sabrina, Thank you for your question. It is very difficult for me to give you specific advice since I can not see you. The bumpy gums can be smoothed down. If there are specific spots that hurt then smoothing them down will help. If there is generalized pain, then probably dentures are not the answer for you. You should consider having some implants placed to support the dentures sop that they are not on your gums when you eat or have them in. Implants are more reasonable these days and you would only need a few to support the denture. This would also take care of the wrinkles you describe. I hope that helps

QUESTION: Dear Dr.  Thank you for your answer,but I have a few more questions 1)what is "denture sop"? 2) what kind of Dr. would do the smoothing? 3) I also have a history which is quite complicated. In 2002, after 10 years of the most excruciating pain I have ever known, i had a "micro-vascular decompression of the 5th cranial nerve" also known as the Janetta procedure, by Dr. Janetta. The surgery was more complicated than they expected and although it took away most of the pain, I still get the Atypical Trigeminal Neuralogic pain for about 2 months of the year.(When I need heavy narcotics to deal with it).  Knowing all this most Dr.'s do not want to come near me.  Is this a hopeless situation?  Am I a candidate for any kind of implant? And at what cost(both financial and physical?  Relatively Hopeless, Sabrina

Answer
Sabrina, I do not k ow what "denture sop" is. The Dr. that should smooth the bone would be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. There are no other dental specialists that have the extensive training required to manage your medical issues. Additionally, a board certified oral and maxillofacial will be able to put you to sleep in their office. This will decrease the cost associated with going to the operating room. I see no reason why you would not be a candidate for dental implants. The financial costs vary. Some are cheer than others, but I would be wary of the type of implant they use. Make sure they are good quality implants that have a long record of success. There are many new implants that do not fit this criteria.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon