Oral Surgery/Post Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Question
Hi Doc,

I got my upper right wisdom tooth removed since it was growing disto-angular. Although there is no pain now and no swelling but off late since the past 2 days I have been experiencing a disgusting smell and taste in my mouth and nose. Also sometimes when I gargle to keep the place clean, water comes out of my Jose as well. Now I understand that during surgery the sinus gets exposed, but my ques is till how long will this heal.. Also to add I had got stitches as well. Shall await yr revert... Regards, farshid

Answer
This sort of problem frequently heals on its own but to be sure, you should return to the oral surgeon who did your original surgery for evaluation.  It does not always heal by itself and may require some additional surgery to close the opening.  If you are a smoker, you should stop as this may interfere with normal healing of the area.

Good luck,

Dr. Jeff Bressman
www.omfsurg.com

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS