Oral Surgery/RE: Wisdom teeth extraction

Question
hi i had my wisdom teeth removed 10 days ago..after day 3 i had a bad taste and bad breath. I called my dentist and he said this was normal healing and he would see me for 1 week follow up appointment. Because i am a hypochondriac i decided to visit another oral surgeon to see if this was in fact normal...he looked at the extraction and said it was infected...he irrigated the socket with a green colored liquid and also prescribed me antibiotics which made me very sick (ended up in hospital with stomach pains) so after taking antibiotics for the 2 days it was time for my 1 week post op checkup...after examining my mouth my oral surgeon said there was no infection and everything was healing normally. I was so confused as to having 2 different diagnosis i went to a 3rd oral surgeon for a 3rd opinion and she also said there was no infection and i did not need to continue antibiotics. I have since stopped using the antibiotics...i have no pain or swelling or fever and the bad taste was gone from when he irrigated the socket.Should i feel confident that there is no infection? Or what can i do to be 100% sure that i have no infection?

Answer
Sounds like you can feel confident that there is no infection.  Follow up as suggested by your original surgeon.  The fact that the pain and swelling have gone away along with the bad taste are all good signs.  Obviously, without seeing you I can not be 100% sure but given the 2 opinions that everything is ok and no symptoms I would not worry.

Dr. Jeff Bressman
www.omfsurg.com

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS