Oral Surgery/root canal

I've been having a problem with an upper leftside molar #15 for some weeks now.  I don't know if I should root canal it or not.  It all started about a month ago, this tooth had a deep filling to begin with, then I got a small cavity.  One day I woke up with lots of irritation on the gum and what may have looked like small pimple on my inner cheek..I went to the dentist, gave me antibiotics, didn't really take it, two weeks later went to get cavity filled and also he said it was chipped filling, so he fixed the filling.  Ever since then, I feel pain in it on and off.  I feel pain in it when I have a headache or tired.  I do feel spontaneous pains all around my mouth.  It's been almost a month now, my opposite side of my mouth is hurting, an old root canaled tooth that was fine is now hurting, and also an upper right molar is having pain, I am thinking maybe because I eat more on this side now.  I don't know what to do?  I went to an endodentist, she didn't see any obscesses, I forgot to tell her about the pimple on the side of my cheek too.  I want to just schedule the root canal.  I don't know what is going on? the pain is not excruciating, but I know something is up somewhere.  I'd like to avoid any major problems

Mary -  It is of course a little difficult for me to fully evaluate what is going on without examining you or seeing an xray of the area, but from your descriptions, it does sound like an infection is present.  Is that infection alone in the tooth or is the sinus also affected.  My suggestion is that you make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to fully diagnose what is going on.  Do not leave the area alone.  Get this properly evaluated as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or need the name of a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate you near you, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names of doctors.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC