Oral Surgery/sbout tooth extraction

Hi my name is Brad, last thurs had a tooth extraction ob lower back jaw area they said it was impacted my dentist did extraction. My lower jaw area sore its not bad will the soreness go away? All my dentist gave me to take is Antiboditics and advil is this normal for ot to be sore it been 5 days? Will it get better

Brad -  by 5 days after the extraction, the pain should begin to be getting less.  My suggestion is that you get back to the dentist as soon as possible to evaluate it.  The dentist should be examining you 5-7 days after the extraction, so contacting to make an appointment is a good idea.  It doesn't sound like anything bad is really going on, but it is better to get it checked now if something is occurring.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC