Oral Surgery/Treatment for a cyst on palate

Question
QUESTION: About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with a cyst on my palate by an endodontist; it's approximately 2 x 1.5 cm. She performed a root canal on the adjacent tooth and said that I should return in 6 months to see if the cyst is healing (and 6 months after that). If it is not healing by that time, I may need surgery. It is incredibly painful to live with, especially after eating. I went back a month ago because I felt it was getting larger and the pain was unbearable. She said it's too soon to tell and that I should just keep waiting. Is this treatment "normal"? I'm wondering if I should visit another dentist for a second opinion. Aside from my last cleaning, this is my first experience with this dental office as I have recently relocated. She has not prescribed anything for me--no antibiotics or pain pills, so (hopefully) she can't think I'm a drug seeker. I am legitimately miserable.

ANSWER: Tonya - That endodontist is all wrong.  If there is no response within 2 months after doing the root canal (assuming that the tooth she did root canal is the cause of the cyst), that cystic area needs to be surgically removed.  It is usually a very simple and minor surgery.  You should make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate and remove the cyst if appropriate.  If you could get back to me, tell me where in Canada you live, I can refer a surgeon who would be more appropriate and knowledgeable about what you are dealing with.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me again or just let me know where you live.

QUESTION: Thank you, Dr. Teig! I live in downtown Toronto, Ontario. It would be great if you could recommend a qualified surgeon. There is an oral surgeon in the practice that I went to, so I was a bit puzzled why the endodontist didn't set me up with an appointment with him. She has not done a good job explaining the cause of the cyst, but I believe it to be from my tooth she performed the root canal on as she said the infection should go away after removing the root. To be honest, I don't think she even knew where the infection was until my second visit (she was examining the wrong side of my mouth).

Answer
Tonya -  The following are a few board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons in Toronto who should be able to help you.

1) Dr. Paul Chapnick -  (416) 922-4111

2) Dr.Joseph Freidlich -  (416) 785-1875

3) Dr. Simon Weinberg - (416) 636-8236

I wish you well and hop one of the above doctors can help you.  Any further questions, feel free to contact me again.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired