Oral Surgery/Wisdoms Extraction

Question
Hi Sir,

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted under general anaesthetic 5 days ago. I was given the instructions not to blow my nose (he did not say how long, I assume until my post-op checkup 10 days after the operation itself) as the maxillary 3rd molars were close to the sinuses.

My mandibular 3rd molars had cysts growing around them, so I am awaiting a pathology report.
I had a mild nose haemorrhage a few hours after the operation, I am not entirely sure if that was a bleed or just excess blood that needed to drain somewhere. It was over within a few minutes. It was restricted to the right side of my nasal cavity, there was some blood coming from the left nostril, but the bulk of the blood drained through my right nostril). I have spent the past few days spitting up blood-streaked mucous (it's been slowly draining from my nasal cavity into the back of my throat#.

I am just concerned about my sinuses now. I accidently blew my nose because of hayfever a few minutes ago, but it is 10pm here and I can't phone my maxillo-facial surgeon. It did not last long, about 3-5 seconds, and it wasn't what I would consider a hard blow. However I can feel what I surmise is an air bubble lodged in my right sinus cavity and I am growing concerned.

Is it possible that I have ruptured my stitches? If not, how do I get the air bubble out of my sinuses without blowing my nose? What is the risk of infection at this point, both sinus and oral?

I have been rinsing my mouth according to post-op instructions #OroChlor mouth rinse x2 daily; salt + bicarbonate of soda + water after contact with anything per mouth, and before I go to bed), and following the dietary guidelines as given. I have also been taking antibiotics twice daily.

Thank you for your help.
Regards

Julia,
South Africa

Answer
Julia, Thank you for your question. No need to worry. It is possible that the stitched might have broken but after 5 days there is not a real concern. As long as there is no active bleeding, I would just take it easy and try to rest and not worry so much about it. The human body has a tremendous may of fixing itself and all we do as surgeons is allow the body to do just that. Get some rest. The possibility of an air bubble in the sinus is no need to worry. The sinus is normally filled with air so not easy to damage. Just try not to blow your nose and give your surgeon a call in the morning. Good luck

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon