Oral Surgery/Apico Procedure

Question
Tooth 11
Tooth 11  
My general dentist has recommended for quite some time now that I have tooth #11 evaluated for an apico procedure. The gum above the tooth has had a bubble (an infection I suppose) however I have had no other symptoms or pain. If there is a possibility of loosing the tooth, I would much rather wait retaining the tooth until something else happens.  Your thoughts please and also whether historically those having this procedure have lost the tooth.

Thank you.
Ed

Answer
Ed,

You are really asking for specific medical advice related to your situation and unfortunately, I can not answer that for you.  In general though apicoectomy procedures are about 80% successful.  As a result about 20% of the people having this procedure eventually lose the tooth.  There are definitely places where it is indicated.  You should have a consult with an oral surgeon.

Good luck,

Dr. Jeff Bressman
www.omfsurg.com

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS