Oral Surgery/Apico Procedure

Tooth 11
Tooth 11  
My general dentist has recommended for quite some time now that I have tooth #11 evaluated for an apico procedure. The gum above the tooth has had a bubble (an infection I suppose) however I have had no other symptoms or pain. If there is a possibility of loosing the tooth, I would much rather wait retaining the tooth until something else happens.  Your thoughts please and also whether historically those having this procedure have lost the tooth.

Thank you.

You are really asking for specific medical advice related to your situation and unfortunately, I can not answer that for you.  In general though apicoectomy procedures are about 80% successful.  As a result about 20% of the people having this procedure eventually lose the tooth.  There are definitely places where it is indicated.  You should have a consult with an oral surgeon.

Good luck,

Dr. Jeff Bressman

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with over 24 years of experience. The majority of my practice involves dental implants, removal of wisdom teeth, treatment of areas of oral pathology. Please note that this site is designed for general information and I can not give you medical advice specific for you.

I have over 24 years of private practice experience

American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Fellow American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Diplomate National Dental Board of Anesthesia, Fellow American Dental Society for Anesthesia

BS, University of Illinois with honors DDS, University of Illinois, with high honors Board Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery