Oral Surgery/apico vs extraction on too #30 follow up question

QUESTION: Hi Doctor!

The last post did not allow me to ask a follow up question for some reason. I am the one asking for a good oral surgeon to do an apico on tooth #30 with a file near the root.
Most of my doctors are in midtown, Manhattan (in the 50s and 60s streets) so ideally, that's the area where I'd like the oral surgeon office.

Midtown area in Manhattan, NY that takes UFT insurance, if you know.
Thank you so much!

ANSWER: Ann -  I don't know which doctors accept UFT, but the following doctors are board certified surgeons and should be able to help you.

1) Dr. Claudia Kaplan -  East 60th - (212) 838-5895

2) Dr. Steven Tunick - 57th - (212) 246-4593

3) Dr. Todd Berman - 49th - (212) 888-7070

Is it still safe to use silver fillings?
I was not able to get a hold of the doctors you provided but I finally found one I think I want to do the surgery but he says he uses silver for the cap in the end after the apicoectomy. He says he has used silver for over 25 years and that it is totally safe. What is your opinion? I thought they no longer used silver for fillings, so why use them for this?
Your information is greatly appreciated!

Ann - NOt only is the silver filling safe, it is the best one at the end of the root after the apicoectomy.  The filling will completely do a sealing of the canal that is better and more consistant than any other type of filling there.  

Silver fillings are still used by the best dentists.  They are strong, filling the decay area well and provides the results that lasts the longest.  Any mercury in the filling is not released.  It is definitely safe.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC