Oral Surgery/Blod clot

Question
Hello, today I had tooth #14 surgically removed. It had to be removed surgically because I had a root canal done on it a few years ago. I followed all instructions and even left gauze on while I took an hour nap. Now, I take the gauze out and my blood clot slowly slides out. I can leave it without a gauze no longer than 30 minutes before having to put on another to push it back into the whole. My biggest concern is losing this blood like pillow and getting dry socket. I am now sitting here with a gauze in my mouth to hold it in place until I can hear from a professional. Please help!

Answer
Keshama - If the area continues to bleed, a simple solution is to take a regular tea bag.  Dip it into warm water, squeeze out the excess moisture and then bite on the bag for 10 minutes.  The bleeding should stop. So if it doesn't stop, try the warm moist tee bag for 10 minutes and the bleeding will stop.  

A dry socket is caused by trauma to the socket.  What you are doing should have no influence on the development or lack of development of a dry socket.  So bite on gauze first and if it doesn't completely stop the bleeding, do the tea bag and it should heal well.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired