Oral Surgery/Extraction

I had a bone graft two months ago from synthetic material for implant bcoz my upper left central is missing and also i have been wearing braces for four months.
Now i need two upper bicuspid extraction to move my upper front teeth backward which can cause major changes in upper jaw.
I would like to know whether it's safe or not for the bone graft.
How long do you think i should wait.

PK -  I am a little concerned about the orthodontic treatment to move the upper front teeth when a bone graft has been placed in an adjoining area.  Bone is a unit that the cells are interjoined.  When a graft is placed and becomes fused to the bone, orthodontic movements can alter the healing graft site.  In my opinion, the orthodontics should be done first to move the teeth and then a graft is placed.  Early movements in adjoining bone could possibly produce bad effects in the graft area.  That is my opinion.  So I would wait until the ortho treatment to move the front teeth backwards before the graft is placed.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC