Oral Surgery/sequestrectomy and osteomyelitis

Bob Clark wrote at 2013-09-30 00:19:45
I'm back! I had both a technetium scan and a gallium scan since we last corresponded. The Ga scan showed nothing at all and the Tc was inconclusive. The Tc scan lit up somewhat, but it was deemed ambiguous and within the parameters of a healing extraction site that had also undergone a sequestrectomy. So that was good news.

I pretty much put this problem on the back burner as it obviously wasn't spreading like wildfire.

I had my teeth cleaned in August, and they took an xray of the extraction site. It showed that the root channels seemed to have filled in completely. More good news.

The bad news is that I still have that lingering, nondiffuse drainage from the gums on the buccal side of the extraction site. It's been more than a year and a half since the tooth was pulled.

In your last message, you wrote, "Drainage for a infected area does not always come via a fistula.  There can be a more diffuse drainage at a lower volume.  Unfortunately, this type of drainage is indicative of significant dispersed infection vs a contained area."

Why is a dispersed infection unfortunate? What is the prognosis and treatment for it? Do you still advocate hyperbaric oxygen in light of the new information? Would you think that my problem has a bony source or do you think it's all in the gums?

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC