Oral Surgery/Jaw surgery

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I have an underbite and im 30 yrs of age, Do you know the cost of jaw surgery correction in the UK and USA ?

Thanks

ANSWER: Aj - Surgery to correct an underbite can be variable depending on what you mean by an underbite.  Usually this type of problem is due to a discrepancy in growth of both the upper and lower jaws.  The fees vary greatly depending on the locations of the problems.  If you could get back to me and tell me if you have been examined and the cause has be told to you, I can give you a better answer.  

So get back to me and let me know if a doctor has told you if the problem is due to the upper, lower or both jaws and I will try to give you and answer.

QUESTION: Hi,

About 5 yrs ago i did visited a NHS dentist and i thought i'll get my surgery for free from NHS but he said 'I'm too late and if im willing to pay 2,000?' i answered 'Yes'. After this i hadn't gone back to him cause i thought hes probably talking mad. He did say both my jaws need correcting. I don't know if the price he gave was for braces or surgery.

Answer
Aj -  If I were you, I would not do anything until you get, in writing, a description of what is proposed and the necessity for it.  Once you get that, you can get a second opinion.  I wish I could help you more, but I would need to see xrays and examine you.  So be careful and get everything proposed in writing and show it to other oral and maxillofacial surgery specialists.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired