Oral Surgery/Major swelling and numbness

Dr. Teig, i had a partial root canal done about a month ago b/c i dont currently have health insurance. Then, two weeks ago, the filling came out and i experienced slight swelling and discomfort. However, yesterday i awoke to a much more swollen face and loss of feeling. So, i went to the ER. they gave me some antibiotics and pain meds and i plan to go to the dentist tomorrow. Unfortunately, when i woke up this morning, the swelling has gotten even worse. Do i need to go back to ER?

Drew -  The ER is not the place to go.  Immediately find an oral surgeon.  That doctor will know where to drain the infection to help reverse the situation before it expands.

Don't put this off. Find an oral surgeon as soon as possible.  ER doctors are not skilled in oral infection treatment.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC