Oral Surgery/Major swelling and numbness

Question
Dr. Teig, i had a partial root canal done about a month ago b/c i dont currently have health insurance. Then, two weeks ago, the filling came out and i experienced slight swelling and discomfort. However, yesterday i awoke to a much more swollen face and loss of feeling. So, i went to the ER. they gave me some antibiotics and pain meds and i plan to go to the dentist tomorrow. Unfortunately, when i woke up this morning, the swelling has gotten even worse. Do i need to go back to ER?

Answer
Drew -  The ER is not the place to go.  Immediately find an oral surgeon.  That doctor will know where to drain the infection to help reverse the situation before it expands.

Don't put this off. Find an oral surgeon as soon as possible.  ER doctors are not skilled in oral infection treatment.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired