Oral Surgery/oral surgery to remove tori

Question
I had oral surgery a week ago to remove some tories in my mouth and also 3 teeth were removed so I can get sme dentures in the bottom.

It's been a week now and the pain hasn't gotten much better. what can I do to relieve it other the pain med i was pescribed (oxicodin) which doesn't seem to give me much relief and just makes me drowsie. Is there any over the counter med or home rememdy I can use to help relieve the pain and soreness and speed up the healing.

Answer
David -  Better than medication, I have found that simply the use of warm salt water rinses for about 5 minutes, 4-5 times a day reduces the inflammation and soreness and promotes quicker healing. I know this approach sounds very simple, but it works in most.  So try it first before you have the doctor change your meds or you take an over the counter medication that might alter healing.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired