Oral Surgery/pain in jaw

Question
I woke up on tuesday with extreme pain on my lower right side.  I couldnt pin point where the pain was  coming from.  I saw a dentist on thursday who after seeing xrays said I had a pocket between my tooth and the bone.  She cleaned the tooth and gave it antibiotics.  Its sunday and the pai  feeld the same.  She said that if it doesnt work I need to see a specialist.  I'm scared but I want to get it done.  I don't want to keep waiting.  Who should I see?

Answer
Evelyn - A specialist in dentistry who handles pain is not unusual.  The problem is each of these specialists address the ones that are incorporated in the area of the jaws that they handle.

My suggestion is to see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Why?  Because these doctors actually treat all aspects of the mouth and jaws and should be better able to discern the cause.  I wish you well and hope the cause can be discovered soon and resolved.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired