Oral Surgery/pain in jaw


I woke up on tuesday with extreme pain on my lower right side.  I couldnt pin point where the pain was  coming from.  I saw a dentist on thursday who after seeing xrays said I had a pocket between my tooth and the bone.  She cleaned the tooth and gave it antibiotics.  Its sunday and the pai  feeld the same.  She said that if it doesnt work I need to see a specialist.  I'm scared but I want to get it done.  I don't want to keep waiting.  Who should I see?

Evelyn - A specialist in dentistry who handles pain is not unusual.  The problem is each of these specialists address the ones that are incorporated in the area of the jaws that they handle.

My suggestion is to see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Why?  Because these doctors actually treat all aspects of the mouth and jaws and should be better able to discern the cause.  I wish you well and hope the cause can be discovered soon and resolved.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]