Oral Surgery/pain and swelling in one cheek a month after jaw surgery

Question
My daughter had upper jaw surgery a month ago and now a few days after her splint was removed and her braces reconfigured she began having swelling and pain on one side of her face in the area over her cheekbone. Her doctor prescribed anti-biotics. What could be the cause of an infection? This was an elective procedure as her upper jaw never closed properly over her lower one, No space on top for her tongue causing speech problems and in the past year TMJ etc. Her teeth are closing fine now and the teeth are aligned but I am worried about this infection.

Answer
Karen -  Antibiotics can be benefical to help resolve the infection, but often the sinus is included in the area.  In addition to the antibiotics, if she would do warm salt water rinses for about 3 minutes, 4-5 times a day can often promote infection drainage.  The surgeon needs to define the source of the infection.  That way, he can identify the source of the problem and treat it better.

The infection could be at the site of the jaw surgery, but it could also be from a sinus infection.  The surgeon needs to definitely define the source of the infection to be able to heal the infection.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired