Oral Surgery/Post Apical Surgery Recovery

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr. Ryan,
I had an apical surgery 5 weeks ago to take out the lesion at the apics of the root. Following the surgery, I initially recovered very well. However, I feel pressure/tightness on the gum and the tooth and warmness near the surgical site and that side of the nose. When my mouth makes slight movement, it feels that something is pulling the gum/tooth. Is this normal 5 weeks after the surgery? How long after apical surgery should this sensation disappear? Some websies seem to suggest that recovery time for apical surgery is only 2 weeks. Many thanks.

ANSWER: Jill, Thank you for your question. 5 weeks seems like a long time to recover from an apical surgery. It would be worth calling the surgeon or endodontist to get their opinion. It might be time to consider extracting the tooth or a course of antibiotics to see if it settles down.

QUESTION: Many thanks, Dr. Ryan. My endo prescribed a course of antibiotics the following day after my message to you. The warmness near the surgical site and the side of the nose has disappeared. Though I still something is pulling the gum/tooth when making certain movement. IS this normal? Is this because of the bone is missing there? Or does it indicate that there is still inflammation or infection? The tooth is No.9.
Thanks.

ANSWER: Jill, The feeling of the tissue being pulled is quite normal. Especially in the front because the tissue is ultimately connected to the lips. As the scar tissue heals, this feeling should resolve. However, it does seem like a long time at this point. Usually it takes a few weeks to resolve but can last longer. If it is not better in a few weeks (7-8 weeks after the surgery), have it looked at a again to make sure everything is going well. Please keep me updated.

QUESTION: Thanks, Dr. Ryan. I finished the course of anti-biotics and went to the endo today. She took X-ray and checked the gum and the tooth. She does not think I should be concerned, but told me not to use the tooth for another 4 weeks. If the feeling does not go away in 2-3 weeks, I will have it checked out again. Will X-ray of the tooth show tissue/bone infection?

Answer
Jill, an x-ray of the tooth may show a bone infection. The information you get from an x-ray after endo treatment is not great because it takes a few months for the bone to fill in so its difficult to tell if the infection has resolved. A series of x-rays (periapical) will show if the infection is resolving but this may take months. The problem is that you are still having discomfort. I think the plan you have is good. The peridontal ligment around the tooth might be inflamed, therefore, not using that tooth for a bit might settle things down. I like the plan you have.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon