Oral Surgery/Tongue numbness

Hi, I recently had surgery on dec 27 for class 3 malocclusion where I had an open bite with a protruding bottom jaw.. The surgeon only cut the bottom sides and pushed my jaw back where it sit soughta perfect now. I really like the work. Only thing is now 1 month later the left side of my tongue is numbed still while the right side is o.k. Also my chin is numbed up but my bottom lip is coming around...I feel the crawling and little shocks from here and there on my lip and chin..I just had my splint removed today and the doctor ask if any numbness I told him yeah and he said o.k come back in 3 weeks. I've did a lot of googling and read that it could be my lingual nerves is damaged.. Can u give me anymore insight and any questions that I should ask in 3 weeks....also if I do need more surgery,mould it as invasive as the orthognatic surgery or less..also from what I have been told, my body seems to heal very quickly and with that being said , how long would you think it would take to regain full feelin in my lips and tongue? Thank for reading. I really appreciate it.

Marvin, Your surgeon would be better able to answer these questions. This partly because the surgery can be very completed and only your surgeon will know specifically what they encountered during the surgery. The tongue numbness is and most likely damage to the lingual nerve. This may or may not return to normal. The answer really depends on the amount of damage to the lingual nerve. However, if you need additional surgery to correct the problem, it is better to get the surgery within 6 months. If you still have numbness after a month, I would ask if you should take steroids to reduce the swelling of the nerve and maybe even go to a specialist to have the nerve tested.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.