Oral Surgery/Upper 2nd molar root left after extraction

Question
I had a root canal treatment on my right upper 2nd molar during the treatment the dentist fractured it and told me the only option is extraction, during the extraction he left the roots and he referred me to an oral surgeon and on the xray there is a continuity of the roots on the maxillary sinus, my question is, is this complicated procedure? Can it be done under local anesthesia? Or is it really needed to remove the roots considering its a dead tooth or will it come out by itself? I really appreciate your answer. Thank you very much.

Answer
Tony -  First of all, the roots definitely need removal or an infection invading the sinus could occur.  You need to see the surgeon to remove them.  A skilled surgeon should be able to remove the roots with causing a problem with your sinus.  Even though the tooth is dead, there are bacteria in the area and removal is important.

So get the roots removed as soon as possible.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired