Oral Surgery/White Stuff In Extraction Hole--2 weeks later

Question
Hello,

I had my wisdom teeth extracted over 2 weeks ago, and days ago I realized there was a white substance inside the lower right extraction site. I am not in any kind of pain, and the other (lower right) side is completely clean and seems to be closing up. I flossed around the extraction site area and some of the white substance (kind of spongy and incredibly foul smelling) came out the site. Today, I flossed again, more white stuff came out, and rinsed with warm salt water with a syringe to try and really clean in there. More stuff came out, but upon closer inspection, there is STILL some white substance at the very bottom. After my last rinse, I was a little sensitive, but not in pain.

Is this white substance food? Should I see my dentist about cleaning it out? I know I'm already 2 weeks in, but I'm still deathly afraid of dry socket. I've been keeping the area very clean (rinsing with warm salt water after every meal, flossing, and brushing). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Liz - What you are describing is actually normal in the healing process.  After a tooth is extracted, there is blood formation in the socket.  The blood starts breaking down and new cells begin to form.  The white area you see is most likely new cell formation.  Rinsing the socket is a good idea to promote cleanliness and healing, but irrigation may be too rough, unless you are just dripping the liquid into the socket.  Usually normal rinsing is sufficient and will not disturb the new cell formation that will be producing bone.  So rinse, but be gentle.

The whole area will take 1-2 months to completely heal.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired