Oral Surgery/Wisdom tooth extraction

Question
I need to have my lower wisdom tooth extracted.  The dentist recommends removal of the opposing upper wisdom tooth.  Is that the best course of action?

Answer
Hello,
It depends. If you have trouble opening up your mouth, I would first take the upper one out and wait until I see improvement. I have not examined you, but typically patients present with pericoronitis of the lower teeth. That is inflammation of gums around the lower wisdom tooth. Once it gets inflamed, the upper one bites down on it and makes it worsse.  That is why we remove both top and bottom.
If you don't have problem opening up, then I would just go ahead and take both of them out at once.
Good luck!

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery