Oral Surgery/Hole from jaw to sinus

Question
My husband had a wisdom molar removed and a lot of mucus come pouring out.  After the sign healed he had a hole from sinus to the mouth. Surgery by the ear, nose and throat doctor was done to open his nasal passage that was apparently blocked causing the sinus to erupt to the tooth and causing the tooth to be removed. Then ENT sent him to oral surgeon for evaluation to close the hole surgically.  Oral surgeon  says it is not imperative to close the hole even tho my husband still has drainage out the hole to him mouth, he referred him back to his dentist to be fit for an "actuator" to cover the hole and said this actuator will keep food and liquid from going into the hole and sit in the sinus cavity, hopefully the hole will heal.  I am confused by all the referrals back and forth for the last 6 months.

Answer
Donna - I have to tell you that if your husband does have a hole from his sinus to his mouth, the surgeon is totally wrong in referring him to the dentist to have an actuator fabricated.  That approach keeps the opening into the sinus forever.  What should have been done already is a closure of the hole and cleansing of the sinus at the same surgery.  

I fully understand your confusion - I'm confused also.  No knowledgeable oral and maxillofacial surgeon would leave the opening and not attempt to close it.  With all the referrals, either the doctors are stupid, not trained properly or just fearful of the correct treatment.  I know that, with all the doctors he has seen you don't want to bring him to another, but he needs to be examined by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If you wish, you can get back to me, tell me where in Idaho you live and I will try to find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to help your husband.

So either get a second opinion from a board certified surgeon you know of or get back to me and I will provide names.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired