Oral Surgery/orthognathic surgery

I have had many problems with my bite since age 18. My front teeth were capped at an early age due to my top front teeth hitting my bottom  teeth. They were ground down to stubs . I have a frown face most of the time due to the shallow slope from the midface. When I smile ,I look like a witch with a big chin and my nose looks pinched in. I am tired of looking manly. I am 57 years old and would like this surgery. How can they perform surgery and orthodontics when I have crowns and caps in my teeth and am I too old?

Sherry -  In this day and age, crowns and caps are not limitations to the proper movement of teeth in orthodontics.  Multiple acrylic appliances are made that are placed in a sequence to gradually move the teeth as the teeth become adapted to the appliance.  With this appliance, crowns and caps would bot be a problem.  

As far as the surgery, it is common that bone plates are placed during the surgery to stabilize the bone to the new position.

So there are ways to avoid metal bars and attachments to the teeth.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC