Oral Surgery/When is it safe to do the pinched nose test

It's been 3 weeks since my molar was removed and at that time a 4mm oral-antral communication was created. One week after the extraction, I was not able to hold air in my mouth (by puffing out the cheeks) and can feel air leaking through the OAC. The dentist said to give it time to heal. I'm currently on Augmentin because I had a bad sinus infection; it seems to be under control now. My question is when is it safe to do a pinched nose test or the puffed cheeks test again to see if it has healed correctly? I'm hesitant to try it again, afraid that the tissue that is trying to heal will be torn out because of the test. Thank you.

Roger -  You should not do it at all without being examined by a knowledgeable and skilled doctor.  Many general dentists are not skilled in this situation.  My suggestion, before you potentially traumatize the area, have an oral surgeon examine it.  I'm not saying having him to anything, but a surgeon is best to evaluate it.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC