Oral Surgery/Bone infection

Question
Hello, I had a an accident when I swung my golf club intentionally into a steel ball washer on purpose trying to break the club. It coiled around knocked out three teeth ( upper left side ) and fractured my jaw. The third tooth to the left of my front left tooth remained and the doctor didn't want to remove it because the bone above it may die. He suggested for implants removing the upper bone inserting a cadaver bone and inserting the posts into the cadaver bone. It was also mentioned the tooth would help anchor a bridge. I never bought a bridge and used a flipper which improved my appearance only. I am a smoker 49 and have below average dentil health. I have gingivitis and periodontal symptoms but have been seeing a dentist more frequently trying to improve. Four years ago I noticed my upper gums were a little red and not as healthy looking as the gums around the base of my teeth, so I brushed hard near the area above my remaining tooth from the accident and shortly after noticed a zit like formation in my gums right above the tooth. I would press it and it would put out puss a few times a day. My remaining tooth was always a little lose and sometimes periodically get sore.
After a while the zit formation disappeared. About a few months. Periodically I would lose or break my flipper needing a new one. Last year when this happened a dentist said let's pull the tooth and add a tooth to the flipper. I finally had the tooth pulled yesterday and am scared about the bone above. It was a little sore or tender for years if you applied pressure only. What will happen to the bone now? Is it infected? Should we have left the tooth in? My dentist scared me by saying beware of the long loose tooth we never know where it takes us. Thank you,

Best Regards,
Scott

Answer
Scott  -  Without examining you or viewing and xray, it is a little difficult to be sure, but removing the source of the infection you describe is probably the best thing to do first.  In the source of the infection is gone any bone changes should resolve.  So I think removing the tooth seems to have been correct.  My suggestion is that you immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses in the area of the infection and extraction for about 2-3 minutes 4-5 times a day.  The warm salt water will encourage drainage of any residual infection and at the same time increase blood flow to the damage bone and increase the health of that bone.

So it sounds like extracting the tooth was correct.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired