Oral Surgery/grafting question

failing implants
failing implants  
QUESTION: hi Dr.Teig
you may remember me from previous remember..all my remember implants have failed due to bone loss .bone graft failure and thin gums.
i did have three removed on the upper right..
this past April my upper left implant molars began to fail..bone loss also. my periodontist tried t graft over the two implants..during the process of healing the graft area became infected. more inside the gum tissue..making me ill.  after a few months of on and off antibiotics the doctor cleaned out the membrane and loose graft material..i was patient.
one month ago i had to remove one ..he grafted to area with a small amount of bio oss and collagen..healed fast! two weeks later I'm having some pain.intense bad taste and malaise.
do you think i should have the area opened and cleaned out ASAP?
i have had six surgeries this year on the upper left..
please advise
thanks Ellen

ANSWER: Ellen - I am so sorry to hear about what you have been going through.  Unfortunately your type of problem is not often handled properly by a periodontist.  You really need a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to address your situation to reverse the present situation and help you improve.  You are lucky to live in a state where are quite a few highly skilled and knowledgeable board certified surgeons.  

Most likely, from the appearance of the picture, it needs to be cleaned, but not by a periodontist(just asking for more problems).  So if you want me to send you names of qualified for this situation board certified surgeons, get back to me tell me where you live and I will send you doctor's names.

QUESTION: Imlive in the suburbs of anywhere near the city is fine...onneimplant was extracted in April..I understand why my periodontist whonis world renowned and gives lectures and educational course in implants and grafts would want to graft after ab infection...

Ellen  -  In the Boston area there are quite a few board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  I am going to give you some names.  Call and get and evaluation.

1) Dr. Leonard Kaban - (617) 724-1646

2) Dr. Melissa Lackey - (781) 662-6228

3) Dr. Edward Seldin - (617) 726-8222

I wish you well and one of the above can help you.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC