Oral Surgery/gum abscess and scared

QUESTION: Please help me. Im 57 years old disabled and housenound. I had a dentist come to my house and he said i need all my teeth pulled and significant infection infection. He said he couldnt treat me because im on medicaide and no one takes that. He said i need an oral surgeon. My face is swollen on the left side and on my right my top teeth hurt an i have infection on the bottom. I dont want to die. What should i do?

ANSWER: Barb -  I don't know where you live in Ohio, but there are a few dental practices who provide mobile dental treatment and will come to your house to treat you.  The problem is, I'm not sure if they accept medicaid.

My suggestion is that you call these offices and see what they can do.

1)Dental Center of Northwest Ohio Adult & Children's Clinic -(419) 241-1641 - Toledo and Findlay, Ohio

2)Mobile Dentistry - Cleveland - 440) 871-1155

Try to contact the above two clinics and see if they can help you.  I wish you well.

QUESTION: I live in northeast ohio. I will try the numbers in the morning. Yesterday the gum abscess burst. But i still have pain in the upper teeth. Shouldnt that dentist at least given me some antibodics? The pain scares me. I just am i so upset i cant get help when i need it so desparately. Should i go to the emergency room. Im not sure if they coulld help.

Barb - Antibiotics will help to contain an infection, but often it will not eliminate it in your situation.  My recommendation, and probably one that will work the best, is to immediately begin warm salt water rinses for about 4-5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  I know it is a lot, but you will see a dramatic improvement within a few days with the warm salt water rinsing as much as you can.  It will not cure the problem but it will calm it down.

I wish you well and hope you can be better soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC