Oral Surgery/Hardness on part of bottom lip

I just had (about 7 hours) ago something removed from my lower left side inside my bottom lip.  The dr. Cut almost to the skin.  A portion of my lip feels very hard.  Is this normal?  Alex the oral surgeon, but no answer.  Rey oncerned about what was removed and why that re is hard.
Thank you

Susan -  Of course without examining you I cannot be completely sure what the hard area is, but after surgery, blood tends to accumulate in the surgical area if minimal forces are applied to the area to help contain the internal bleeding.  

So most likely the hard area is an accumulation of blood in the lip.  My suggestion is to now begin warm salt water rinses to that area of the lip.  The warm salt water helps to reduce the internal pressure and dissolve the collection of blood in the lip.  Do the rinsing 3-5 times a day in the lip area, for about 2-3 minutes.

The warm salt water should help to reduce the hardness, but if that hard area continues get back to the surgeon to evaluate it.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC