Oral Surgery/Joint replacement failure

Question
I was in a car wreck at 15 and the airbag broke my jaw. They did a surgery about a week later and put a plate on it but it wasn't successful. For 3 years I was in constant pain and it was bone on bone grinding away at itself. I found a surgeon on the west coast who put a titanium joint in for me. It was great, no more pain and I could actually open my mouth wide. About 2 years after they put it in I started having liquid in my ear on that side. I thought it was just an infection so I went to an ENT Doctor. He said I has an access in my ear canal and he was going to lance it and let it drain. He did and later that week I had granulation tissue pushed into my ear canal so I couldn't hear out of it. They finally took the implant out after a couple unnecessary surgeries because my body didn't like it. Just recently I have started having what I believe is granulation tissue in that ear again. Any idea why I would have granulation tissue again? It has been about 2.5 years since the took it out.

Answer
Tressa - Granulation tissue is usually caused by somethng that stimulates inflammation.  That inflammation in your situation could be residual metal material that broke off and is in the joint space or it could be just from a lot of rubbing within the area. I, of course, cannot truly tell you exactly what is occurring without examining you and having a CT scan or MRI of the area is performed.  

You need to contact the surgeons who did the surgery and tell them what is happening.  They or other surgeons they might recommend near you need to fully examine and diagnose what is actually occurring.  If for some reason you are unable to find those surgeons or other board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons near you, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will find board certified surgeons near you to evaluate what is occurring.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired