Oral Surgery/Lip Incompetence after jaw surgery/genioplasty

Hello, I am currently 2 weeks post op from having a lefort, lower advancement, and genioplasty to correct my open bite and weak chin. From the start, I was unable to close my lips together, but I was told at the time that that was completely due to swelling. Now, two weeks later, I still have some swelling, however can just barely make my lips touch. When I try, they sort of pucker up and I have severe mentalis strain in my chin, almost to the point that it hurts. My bottom lip is also significantly thinner, which I am very unhappy about.  I did some researching and found it odd that most everyone else who has had a genioplasty, had a tight bandage wrapped around it afterwords. Apparently, this is to support the muscle and avoid the mentalis from drooping.  My surgeon never used a bandage on me. There were no  bandages at all except for the two small ones on either side of my lower jaw incisions.   I fear greatly that the lack of dressing on my chin may have caused my lip incompetence, and I've been deeply depressed.  I made an appointment with my surgeon in a few days, so I will hopefully address this with him. I hope that he doesn't simply tell me to do exercises, or that it's due to swelling. I thought that genioplasties were supposed to fix mentalis strain, not cause them!  Is it common or okay to not use a genio bandage after surgery? Could this be the issue to my mentalis strain?  Thank you.

Hi Kayla,

Lip incompetence can be caused by many things. Excess vertical growth of maxilla, small chin, high occlusal angle can all cause it.  poor closure of the mentalis muscle or not pushing the maxilla up enough can be the cause after the surgery.  So as you can see, unfortunately, it is impossible to see what the cause is without proper examination. I usuall place a dressing over the chin to keep the muscle up.
Having said that, I think you should see what your surgeon says in the next appointment. It might be that severe swelling is causing the lip to evert. This situation might get better later on.
Good luck!

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship