Oral Surgery/Nerve damage in extraction area

Question
I am desperately seeking someone knowledgeable of nerves in gum tissue/teeth. My life changing ordeal happened when I had tooth #3 extracted after attempts to save it that failed. Soon after I started feeling like tooth#4 was popping when my tongue pressed on it. I went to several dentists and oral surgeon and was told it could have shifted. I had fillings redone in 4 and 5 being told it would help, which It didn't.  Eventually I started having an unbearable feeling that something was stuck at the gumline between the teeth. I flossed and  flossed and told e dentist and ha a periodontist check it. Other than a space between the teeh they saw nothing.  This ended with me having #4 pulled and it did not help the sensation, since I have had brain MRI, ct scan of sinus and cone beam scan, all negative. No trigeminal nueralgia, however I was sent to neurologist for medication. I have taken gabapentin titrating up to 1200 mg a day with no reileif. I am now on nortriptlyine 50 mg at night, but still feel it.  It is nor a pain that hurts, it is a feeling I have when tongue rubs across the gum where the teeth are missing and up against #5. It is constant and feels like something is pinchy or static/crawly under there. Please, if you can he in any way with why this is happening, I just want my normal life back. I have two beautiful boys that I want to have fun with again. There are no orofacial specialist in Pittsburgh where I am. Oh, and sensodyne toothpaste and lidocaine gel when placed there help a little. Also when invisalign retainer or night guard is on, I can't feel it. So if it  is covered I feel normal.

Answer
Linda - I am so sorry to hear about what all you have been through.  Are these symptoms from a nerve problem or did the doctor who extracted the tooth apply excess force to the area and in doing so weakened the bone?  I just cannot tell you.  Because the invisalign retainer or night guard makes it all feel so much more stable, the bone weakening seems to be more likely.  A scan of the bone determining the density might be helpful.  

That's the best I can come up with.  I think a more stable appliance should be applied over that space to help stablized and allow healing of the bone better.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired