Oral Surgery/Question about sinus commuication probllem

Question
Hi dr teig
I saw one of my periodontists that discovers every issuemimever had wrong in my mouth,.today he discovered a tiny hole that leads straight up into my sinus...he said it isn't infected and the membrane or gum tissue will heal on it's own slowly..this is why my sinus was in pain and woke me up at night...
Do you think it needs surgery to mend it?  Been through six surgeries in the last six months...also alot of antibiotics...I would call an oral surgeon to address this if you think it needs attention.
Thanks Elle

Answer
Elle - If the opening into the sinus has been there for a while, the chances of it closing on its own and being a healthy close and not just a leaky one is not good.  Unfortunately periodontists are not diagnosticians for sinus problem or openings into the sinus problems (oral antral fistulas).  I hate to have to tell you to see another doctor, but a surgeon has a better chance of knowing the facts of closure or not on its own.  He could also close it surgically if necessary and a periodontist does not do that.

I really wish you well and it heals, but getting that opinion from a surgeon might be good in the long run.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired