Oral Surgery/Tooth Extraction

Hi I had my bottom moler (#30) taken out on Thursday and I the grayish/white stuff that covered the socket looks like its going away and it looks like a hole forming. I have no pain or anything just soreness and a slight throbbing pain once in blue that doesn't last long. It that normal? And would i be able to smoke again by Tuesday or Wednesday?

Daniella - what you are going through is not abnormal.  There are a few ways that extractions sockets heal when healing well.  One of those ways is the way you describe.  Just keep the area clean with warm salt water a few times a day and stay away from smoking until the socket completely fills in and is pink --about another 2-3 weeks,  So be attentive and careful and you should heal well.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC