Oral Surgery/Tooth Extraction

Question
Hi I had my bottom moler (#30) taken out on Thursday and I the grayish/white stuff that covered the socket looks like its going away and it looks like a hole forming. I have no pain or anything just soreness and a slight throbbing pain once in blue that doesn't last long. It that normal? And would i be able to smoke again by Tuesday or Wednesday?

Answer
Daniella - what you are going through is not abnormal.  There are a few ways that extractions sockets heal when healing well.  One of those ways is the way you describe.  Just keep the area clean with warm salt water a few times a day and stay away from smoking until the socket completely fills in and is pink --about another 2-3 weeks,  So be attentive and careful and you should heal well.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired