Oral Surgery/Black spot bottom left below tooth

Question
xray of black spot
xray of black spot  
Hello, My son just sent me an xray of his lower let bottom jaw and there is a black spot and it looks like it's right on the bone and this has me greatly concerned. I have attached the xray for your viewing.
I would so appreciate you getting back to me asap. Thank, Mary

Answer
Mary -  The picture of the xray you have submitted, show a growth at the ends of the roots of the lower left bottom first molar.  That area could definitely be from an inflammation or infection within the tooth producing a cystic lesion or it could be independent.  It is important that you have your son examined by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  This situation needs to be addressed as soon as possible.  The area may be corrected after treating the tooth, but, as I stated earlier, it may not be connected to the tooth.  

So set your son up with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for an examination and any appropriate treatment.  If for some reason, you are unable to find a board certified surgeon near him, get back to me, tell me where he lives and I will send you names of board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons near him.  Get this done soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired