Oral Surgery/Brushed on tooth extraction site 4 days after extraction

Hi, in a bit of a panic! Just brushed on tooth extraction site by mistake! It has been bleeding a bit and I am worried I could have dislodged blood clot. It has been just over 4 days since extraction. Is it possible I could have dislodged all of blood clot. There still seems to be something in there but it looks a bit emptier than before! I really don't want dry socket.

Thank you

Not likely that you "dislodged" the entire clot and even if you did it should re-clot with fresh blood.  You physically dislodging a clot is not what causes dry socket although it it is easy to understand where that thought might come from as the typical dry socket patient is described as having lost the clot.  This happens, when it does, from the clot dissolving away earlier than it should not from physical manipulation of the area.  Unfortunately, none of this can guarantee that you will not yet develop one but you should maintain your normal oral hygiene.

Good luck,

Dr. Jeff Bressman

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with over 24 years of experience. The majority of my practice involves dental implants, removal of wisdom teeth, treatment of areas of oral pathology. Please note that this site is designed for general information and I can not give you medical advice specific for you.

I have over 24 years of private practice experience

American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Fellow American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Diplomate National Dental Board of Anesthesia, Fellow American Dental Society for Anesthesia

BS, University of Illinois with honors DDS, University of Illinois, with high honors Board Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery