Oral Surgery/Deviated jaw?

closed mouth
closed mouth  
QUESTION: Hello there!

So I have been self conscious about the asymmetry in my face. I think it could be due to a deviated jaw. After I got my braces removed, which was around age 13 (I am now 20), I noticed in pictures how my face looks very different from the left compared to the right. My nose even appears larger from one side due to the angle my face is now in. I included a few pictures below to show you. I would really like your opinion and any advice you have. I really want this fixed and have been feeling pretty down about it.

- Jenn

ANSWER: Jenn - I definitely see the deviation you speak about.  It is a little difficult without an xray evaluation and a work up on that xray to define the source of the deviation.  Is it from the lower jaw, upper jaw or both?  That needs to be determined.  It does appear that the only approach that would completely work is surgical correction and repositioning of the upper, lower or both jaws.  You need to have yourself evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If you wish, you can get back to me, tell me where you live and I can send you names as close to you as possible.

If you have additional questions also feel free to contact me.

QUESTION: Thank you so much!

I live in Windsor Ontario. Should I see my dentist or do I need to book an appointment with a specialist? Also, if I were to have surgery, would it be covered by my insurance?

Jenn - You need to be seen by a board certified oral and maxillofacila surgeon.  General dentists are not trained in the diagnosis or treatment of this situation.

In Windsor, the following are two board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons.

1) Dr. Gerald Silverman - (519) 482-9351

2) Dr. Richard Stapleford - (519) 258-1231

So contact one of the above for an evaluation.  If you have further questions, now or after being examined, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC