Oral Surgery/Hole between palate and nose

Question
My husband had a cancerous saliva gland removed from his palate (partially on the hard palate; mostly on the soft palate).  A hole developed, allowing food and liquid to pass directly from the mouth into the nose and out. He was fitted with a protector, but food and liquid get underneath; it also extends so far back that it interferes with swallowing. Seven weeks out the hole has gotten smaller, but liquid still passes through the nose and out.  The surgeon has offered no solution.  Is there any OTC product that will temporarily seal the hole during meals, allowing the hole to heal?

Answer
Maria -  I am not familiar with any product that will completely seal the hole.  I have seen flaps of tissue grafts used to close openings, but without evaluating your husband, I cannot be sure that would be appropriate.  I think it would probably be best to have doctor at a major medical center to evaluate your husband.  

I would suggest that you have your husband examined at an oral and maxillofacial surgical training program.  The doctors who teach there are skilled and would have the best experience to correct your husband's problem.

Such facilities are in:

Miami - Jackson Memorial Hospital

Ft. Lauderdale - Broward General Medical Center

Gainesville - Univ of Florida Depart of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery College of Dentistry

Jacksonville -  Univ of Florida Health Science Center

Contact one of the above and ask for the department of oral and maxillofacial surgery.  Contact them and ask for an evaluation by a professor there.

I wish you well in finding a solution.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired