Oral Surgery/implant surgery

Question
I had an implant placed in my upper bone. Its been five days and still having alot of pain, mostly where i had the injections.
The pain has spread up in my face under my eye and some in the jaw and ear. Is this normal to have pain last this long? I had another implant before and did not experience pain longer than a couple of hours. This time it's not going away. My dentist said he gave me a long lasting numbing shot that was not given to me the first time. Could this have caused a problem?

Answer
Leah -  The injection, where it is a long acting or not, should not be producing pain this long.  After an implant placement it is not normal to have pain this long.  In the upper jaw pain can be from sinus inflammation or muscle spasms.  Either cause, the doctor needs to discover the cause and it is due to sinus inflammation, he needs to prescribe medication to quell that inflammation.  

So you need to have yourself examined and if the doctor cannot find the cause and the pain continues, he should refer you to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to arrive at the cause and stop the pain.  The long acting local anesthetic would not produce the pain.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired