Oral Surgery/pain after removal of Radicular cyst

Question
Hi there.
I had a procedure to remove a radicular cyst from my upper jawbone on the 16th January. About a week ago I experienced stabbing pains in my jaw and a feeling that there was internal pressure, it almost felt like my sinus was full. So three days ago I went back to the hospital to get checked out. They did an x-ray and tried to pass a probe through the gum (it wouldn't go through which I was told was a good sign) so I was reassured that there was no infection. The cyst was very close to my sinus. Today I feel like there is a slight swelling and pressure on my left eye and I am sure that around the cheekbone area it is slightly swollen. I get the odd twinging pain but nothing constant. Should I be worrying?

Answer
Hello Kim,

I think you should have been placed on some kind of antibiotics (Amoxycillin if you are not allergic to penicillin) and perhaps some anti-inflammatories too. An Xray is not sufficient to rule out infection of the sinus. You would need a CT scan performed. If you have a sudden swelling like you are describing you should go back and request a thorough examination. I would not wait too long for this or get a second opinion.

All the best,

Dr.MANNAI

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS