Oral Surgery/Post jaw surgery

Hello , I'm 7 weeks post corrective jaw surgery where only my bottom jaw was cut in 4 places to correct an open/ under bite and  remove an ingrown canine that left a gap also removal of two broken molars , one on each side, bottoms. ...while my teeth looks much better and I'm happy with the work, it feels as if my gums are swollen mostly all the time...more of a feeling like food is stuffed between my gums but it's not. Is this normal and would it go away...if so on average , how soon..thank you.

Good morning Marvin,

The swelling of the gums after 7 weeks is not normal. The doctor has to evaluate you and let you know what the cause is. One thing that can cause swelling is infection. Another is lack of proper oral hygiene. Also, When tissues are sutured incorrectly, they can have swelling for along time and then resolve. My suggestion is to make an appointment if you can with the surgeon as soon as possible. I'm sure it will all pass. The main thing is that you are happy with the results. .  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship