Oral Surgery/prophlactic extraction of tooth #30 erupted

Question
1st dental visit
1st dental visit  
Should prophylactic antibiotics be given prior to the procedure for extraction of eruputed tooth #30?  Was not, and severe infection followed losing two more teeth.

Answer
Leslie -  Unless there is evidence of an existing infection prior to the extraction, there is usually not a need for antibiotics prior to the extraction.  That is, unless the patient has a medical condition, like a heart defect, that necessitates the use of an antibiotic prior to any dental surgery.  

So if the infection occurred after the extractions, it does not mean that an infection existed prior.  That is, unless the dentist did not diagnose it or did not notice it.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired