Oral Surgery/sports after wisdom teeth extraction

Question
Hi--My daughter is almost 13.  Her doc is recommending one wisdom tooth be extracted since it is blocking another tooth.  If she does this (and also has the upper wisdom teeth removed at the same time) how long should she refrain from playing girls lacrosse?  If she only has one wisdom tooth removed, would the answer still be the same?  Thanks.

Answer
Frank, Thank you for your question. Usually, I like to recommend no physical activity for about 1 week after an extraction of a wisdom tooth. An upper wisdom tooth extraction may start light physical activity after about 5 days and if there is a any throbbing in the area, than continue to refrain and add intensity as tolerated. Lower wisdom teeth are a bit different and I recommend no physical activity for about 10 days. The bone in the lower is typically more dense and the healing will take just a bit longer. If both are taken out, the 10 days is usually enough. Please note, the above will also depend on how the teeth are positioned and how much surgery is involved and if bone is cut in order to remove the teeth. A specific answer can be given by your oral surgeon because they will know about the positioning and the surgery involved. Additionally, people heal differently. If lacrosse is important and there are no acute issues with the teeth, you might consider waiting until the off season. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon