Oral Surgery/Had tooth extraction 5 days ago and still in pain?

Question
Hello, I had my lower back mollar tooth extracted 5 days ago and it is still really painfull. It seems to be healing well as the hole has closed over a lot but my whole lower right face is so sore, is this normal?

Answer
Rhea - What you are experiencing is not normal but does occur occasionally.  After an extraction sometimes there is a break down of the blood clot within the socket due to minor inflammation.  Unfortunately, it causes significant pain.  It sounds like you are suffering from a condition called a dry socket.  You need to see the doctor who did the extraction to irrigate the socket and place medication in it.  This usually needs repeating a few times to insure complete healing.

I wish you well and hope your doctor can help you quickly to get you feeling better soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired