Oral Surgery/Tumor in gums

hi,i went to a oral surgeon to get a tooth thats been hurting me to be removed an the doctor said i had a tumor underneath the tooth. he told me the tooth is bad and i need it removed but i should remove the tumor. he said he can do it all together. the only problem is he said by removing the tumor, theres a higher than fifty percent chance that he might hit a nerve and i will be numb on my chin and part of my lips. when asked about how dangerous the tumor is he said i don't think it's anything bad. so here i'm stuck wit a decision, i don't know what to do. is there a way to take it out without going numb or should i risk it and not take it out? please respond to this asap. i need a answer soon. thank you.

Hello Michael,

Obviously, I cannot give you a definitive answer without an X-ray or a CT Scan! The answer depends on what kind of "tumor" it is and the diagnostic has to be made prior to doing anything. If it is an aggressive tumor(which I very much doubt), then it has to be removed regardless of the risk of numbness which have to be weighed against the risks of spreading. If it is a benign tumor (like a cementoblastoma) or a cyst , then it does not make sense to run into high risks of severing the nerve. A very good surgeon will be very attentive to this and if you have numbness then it does not last.
If you are not far from Boston, you should probably get an opinion at MGH where there is a major Oral surgery center

All the best,

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS

I am a US board certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon trained at UCLA and Parkland Memorial Hospital (Dallas) with more than 25 years of experience and will provide answers to all questions pertaining to the Oral& Maxillofacial Surgery region including Orthognathic Surgery, Trauma,TMJ, Implantology, tumour surgery (excluding cancer and Oral Dermatology),reconstructive surgery...

Extensive in all fields for the past 25 years hospital and office based.

American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons British Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons

2006: Mannai Chawket Early implant loading in severely resorbed maxilla using xenograft, autograft, and platelet-rich plasma in 97 patients. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery : official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 2006;64(9):1420-6. Bayonne, France. 1998: Bell W H; Mannai C [An interview with Dr. W.H. Bell and Dr. C. Mannai. Interview by Colette Orival-Demange.] L' Orthodontie franšaise 1998;69(1):225-9. 1988: Abemayor E; Zemplenyi J; Mannai C; Webb D J; Canalis R F The fixation of malar fractures with the transnasal Kirschner wire. The Journal of otolaryngology 1988;17(4):179-82. Division of Head and Neck Surgery, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance 90509. 1988: Wald R M; Abemayor E; Zemplenyi J; Mannai C; Lesavoy M A The transoral treatment of mandibular fractures using noncompression miniplates: a prospective study. Annals of plastic surgery 1988;20(5):409-13. Division of Plastic Surgery, Harbor/UCLA Medical Center. 1988: Di S; Bell W H; Mannai C; Seale N S; Hurt W C; Taylor J; Waite D E Long-term evaluation of human teeth after Le Fort I osteotomy: a histologic and developmental study. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology 1988;65(4):379-86. Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, Dallas. 1988: Bell W H; Mannai C; Luhr H G Art and science of the Le Fort I down fracture. The International journal of adult orthodontics and orthognathic surgery 1988;3(1):23-52. 1986: Mannai C; Schwartz H C Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma presenting as a facial swelling. A case report. Journal of maxillofacial surgery 1986;14(6):329-31. 1986: Mannai C; Leake D; Pizzoferrato A; Ciapetti G; Sangiorgi C Histologic evaluation of purified bovine tendon collagen sponge in tooth extraction sites in dogs. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology 1986;61(4):315-23.

DDS,Ph.D Fellow and Diplomate American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency training:Harbor-UCLA MedicalCenter 1982-1985 Fellow OMFS Parkland Memorial Hospital Dallas Texas with William H.BELL