Oral Surgery/Bone Graft Questions

Question
Hello Doctor Ryan -

I recently had a bone graft done on 14 and 15. I am hoping to get dental implants put in both. My dentist thinks it's possible (and he does implants) but I can't say I'm all that happy with his dental work. My oral surgeon, who did the bone graft, believes only 14 should get an implant as 15 is not necessary. I am now 4 months in from the graft surgery.

1 - Should I get another opinion on number or implants possible?
2 - Can I get an implant in 14 now, and 15 at a later time?
3 - Is it possible to get an implant in 15 or is it just not necessary?
4 - I hear that it may not be possible to tell if a bone graft was successful until the day of the attempted implant. What does that mean, they cut me open and say sorry? Or do they try another bone graft? And if so, who pays for the seond attempt?
5 - Also my dentist said that if he did the implants and they fail, he will redo them at no additional charge ( he didn't give me a timeframe). My oral surgeon seems to think every bit of work is on my dollar. Which is normal or does it vary? Is my dentist just placing the guarantee to get the work? Or is the oral surgeon the seemingly money hungry one as he would charge me to retry a failed implant?

Answer
Chris, Thank you for your question. You raise many good points and these are great questions.
1- Should I get another opinion on number or implants possible?
You should get another opinion.
The implant at site 15 later will depend on the amount of bone that is there. Usually, an implant can be placed but later but you might need bone grafting at that time depending on if and howe much bone is left.
I would need to look at you case (radiographs, photos and possibly models to make that determination).
4 - I hear that it may not be possible to tell if a bone graft was successful until the day of the attempted implant. What does that mean, they cut me open and say sorry? Or do they try another bone graft? And if so, who pays for the seond attempt? If they do not have an imaging device to tell how much bone is there they will have they will not be able to tell. A cone beam CT (CBCT) can be done before any surgery to determine how much bone is there but there is usually a charge for that.
5 - Also my dentist said that if he did the implants and they fail, he will redo them at no additional charge ( he didn't give me a timeframe). My oral surgeon seems to think every bit of work is on my dollar. Which is normal or does it vary? Is my dentist just placing the guarantee to get the work? Or is the oral surgeon the seemingly money hungry one as he would charge me to retry a failed implant? These charges vary by doctor. The stability of an implant depends on a lot of factors including how the patient takes care of the implant. Implants require special cleanings that are different then regular cleanings and not everyone is familiar with this. Once the implant is placed, it can fail for many reasons including fault by the patient, fault by the restoring dentist and possible fault by the oral surgeon and sometime by no ones fault. It is hard to control all these factors. Since all of these factors are sometimes hard to control especially if there is no good follow up, there may be additional charges for replacement and sometimes there is only additional charges if the implant falls after a certain number of years. There is no guarantee of implants and there are charges to the surgeon for materials that can get quite expensive. So, long story short, some will charge you for materials only, some won't charge you in certain time limits and some will always charge you. Just depends. I hope that helps. If anything is not clear just reask the questions and Ill try a different way.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon