Oral Surgery/Full Upper Extraction & Partial Lower Extraction.

Question
Hello,

I'm a 23 year old Australian who's in the last few months had to have complete upper extraction of the teeth, and all but 6 lower teeth extracted too (as well as 2 lower wisdom teeth).

Within the last 2-3 months, the recovery period I was advised would be 'enough time' before the process of the dentures being created would begin - I've had quite a lot of problems and my dentist seems to just shrug them off.

My gums aren't healing over the jawbone in a few places, and I was told to 'come back in 2 months' and 'hopefully' the gums would have healed properly over the bone, and the 'roughness' of my jawbone would decrease. I'm in that period of time now (1 month to go roughly).

She told me that if the 'roughness' didn't decrease, I may need to go in for more surgery to fix..well..whatever it is that's specifically wrong.. My dentist doesn't ever really go into much detail with me, and I'm never sure what to ask.

My problem with this situation (..actually, there are a couple) is that I'm already fully aware Myself, what will most likely have to be done - skin grafts to cover the exposed jawbone. My gums are very much healed now, and it's very *very* clear to me that they will Not heal over the jawbone that is still exposed. There's just too much bone for it to possibly cover.
I also have weight problems, mostly problems with gaining weight - so this process has been very rough on me so far - and the idea of it continuing on for several more months before they even begin the process of creating my dentures really worries me. I'm borderline anorexic after the last bout of 'recovery time' & I really can't afford to lose any more weight.

It's very difficult for me, because I'm reliant solely on our countries' healthcare to get these problems fixed, and I'm on a disability pension.

My question(s) is/are, what would you recommend I do in this scenario, or what do you think would be the best course of action ?
Do you think I should see another dentist instead ?

Answer
Matthew, Thank you for your question. The process of the tissue healing over the bone may take a while and really depends a bit on your medical conditions. It is always advisable to get a second opinion. There are many different approaches to providing care in the dental field and you should always seek a second opinion, especially if the recommendations your are getting do not make sense to you. Good Luck.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon